A cat adoption promotion at the Irvine Animal Care Center was briefly interrupted by a dryer fire in the facility.
Ron Edwards, the IACC administrator, said a small fire broke out in one of the cat building’s commercial dryers over the weekend. He and staff members quickly grabbed fire extinguishers and snuffed out the fire, which was contained to the dryer’s drum.
Smoke, however, spread through part of the building, forcing staff and volunteers to evacuate cats living in Meow Manor. Nobody, human or cat, was hurt.”It was a scary thing, hearing the bells and alarms and seeing the strobes go off,” he said.Everyone on hand, Edwards said, worked quickly to grab up scared felines and get them relocated to an outdoor, mobile unit.